Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Swine Flu in Guadalajara, hopefully as everyone stays home it will not spread

Guadalajara is a very social town, people party on bikes & skates (Sundays when a main street is shut down to automotive traffic), dance on every public square; party here party there, festa every where. Guadalajara is shut down. 6 confirmed cases of swine flu here - not yet reported to the press (my host Ariel's connection to the hospital - a doctor - called just now with this news.)

We are not going any place. Schools and large workplaces closed until May 6th.

We did the monthly shopping early two days ago at Wal-Mart, so we are fixed for food and water (but no milk for tea!).

Here is the most recent slideshow of a visit to Chela - my host Rossy's best friend and advisor's - house and art studio within the same block we live in:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonderlane/sets/72157617230803620/show/

I was planning on getting an oil change at the Toyota dealer today in preparation for traveling to the coastal city of Manzanillo (near Colima, and the last volcano of the Ring of Fire on the West Coast) on Friday - but that is on hold and up in the air for now. I believe I will take the risk.

Every time I go out I get lost, but I have consistantly found my way back. The temperature here is in the 80s - on the rooftop it is frequently more than 100 degrees.

The whole thing sounds like a call to prayer to me.

No comments: