Saturday, March 30, 2013

Lady Momma and Rose Alice Lane, starving in the cemetery when I first brought them food, twilight under a heart marked tomb, San Rosalia, Baja California Sur, Mexico

It is a terrible photo but I was just concerned with feeding these starving dogs, not shooting photos... I had returned to the car to get my knife and shot this image. I broke open the eggs, and cut open the milk. That is not a paper bag, that is Rose the eldest, strongest puppy under the recently laid wreath.

Lady Momma eluded capture and brought me all the puppies eventually. I loaded her into the car in more than 100 degree heat, stopped next to rocky cliff, under pressure to drive on - with the local Mexican people holding onto their dogs so she could be rescued.

Lady Momma was soon adopted (July 2009) from the Helen Woodward Center for Animals in San Diego, California, after getting all her shots and being fixed by the local vet here in San Rosalia.

All four puppies were adopted - I took Rose because I could not resist. I take her to all the Buddhist initiations and empowerments possible in Seatte, in the hopes she can save all sentient beings when she becomes human.

Why this means so much to me:

My sister Lisa asked to be buried under a heart shaped headstone reading "Not Boring" - she committed suicide after trying to recover for 4 years after a devastating accident. A drunk driver hit her at high speed while driving a truck in Fairbanks at 6 in the morning 4 days after New Years. He did not recall the accident. She did.

Lisa killed herself with a shot to her head, using a gun she had hidden away from numerous people whose care she was in, on Thanksgiving night 1999.

No comments: