Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Doors Arrive, Wallpaperer, Lights and Ira Suess

Work on Jeanette’s house continues, I plan to have some photos of the progress up for your viewing pleasure soon!

Our eager carpenter, Warren, delivered beautiful new discounted doors yesterday and removed the old frames – I insisted he wear goggles for smashing out the fragile dried up wood of the old frames. The fresh new wood paneled doors are a designer’s delight and only cost $50 each!!!

He is hanging them so they open out to the hallway instead of in to the small rooms thus maximizing the floor space in the rooms.

With each of the tradespeople Jeanette hires I take them around and discuss how their contribution is going to fit into the greater whole on the project; often as a result they make suggestions for improvements or small changes that will make a difference in the final outcome.

Some may wonder if it is just for profit that we are updating the entire house including hanging new light fixtures in most of it. But we all have a philosophy that a place should be better when you leave than when you arrive there, and this careful attention to cleaning, painting and adding charm to the house is an aspect of that. It’s just healthier all the way around.

The wallpaperer Liz dropped by on Sunday afternoon and agreed that the textured turn of the century wallpaper will work to enhance the upstairs hallway and add value to the house.

I’ll be contacting an electrician friend to install the light fixtures which include this beautiful hand blown fixture from Home Depot, it resembles African Trading beads, but blown in a simple bowl shape with brushed aluminum details.

My eyes are pretty shot from sanding, even with goggles on, but I will rest them up for a day and use more precautions to complete the final layer before painting the larger southern facing room.

I’m glad to have my blog up, and am researching the various feed technologies to add value to marketing.

Last night, while looking for a new place to live, I met Ira Suess, an architect and expert contractor on house foundations. He was very complimentary of my site, and creative abilities, and asked if I would consider redesigning his logo and his Web site. This is the work I love helping companies promote themselves. Building just about anything is fun for me!


No comments: