Thursday, February 01, 2007

Urban -- Wildlife

What a great city - you can walk around Greenlake at 1:30 in the morning fearlessly- because there are no wild rabbits running about. Ha ha!

Accidentally I woke up the blue heron asleep at the south east corner of the lake from the crunchy sound of the gravel under my 'New Balance' sneakers. The bird rose wide and quietly flapped away, filling the space next to the dock, and I whispered - "it's ok, it's just me."

I switched to the concrete for quiet but back again - too early - unfortunately disturbing the guys sheltering under the dark trees near the hot dog stand. They rolled over and ruffled their tarp somewhat protectively I thought.

The only other humans encountered were a guy counseling a homeless looking short dude about where to find work. The councilor encouraged his full grown and wet Weimaraner hound dogs to give me love. These sweet 'Grey Ghosts' did, all snuffling and wise.

Understand y'all this is 1:30 am, it is pitch black punctuated with few street lights which lend an occasional eerie presence to very tall trees.

Actually walking Greenlake midweek in odd hours is often an improvement over middays. About 6-7 weeks ago after the iSchool class was over around 9:30 pm I drove to Greenlake and as I pulled into park -- my car lights struck an interesting sight. Blocking the street entry in the middle of the parking area, a couple was playfully laughing and goofing around. The pretty young woman had removed her clothes so that she was completely al naturale, with only her levis around her ankles and a young man was well, doing what any solid citizen would do, he was praising her in his own way, with one arm around her waist, though mostly clothed on the very chilly night. She had lovely pale skin fully lit against the dark night.

Surprised by my head lights these adventurous lovers did not rush to their car, like I would have. I paused and waited, and she swung her long hair around, as they giggled merrily, put her clothes on and shuffled to the edge of the street so I could park. By the time I was walking their vehicle was gone.

It's too cold for the northeast side bats now. I was hoping to see the lone white rat who lives on the east side next to the long extra path behind the new trees, but he's a no show for 2 months now. It all just seems so very uber urban natural.

No comments: