Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Largest Illegal Arms Market in the World - The Gun Markets of Pakistan


Suroosh Alvi says it all, with an entertaining in-person visit to the largest illegal arms market in the world - Pakistan backwoods towns "they live in caves, have no tongues, and make guns with their bare hands," says Suroosh -- showing us the locals still engaged in making guns since the Turkish empire. Suroosh won't believe the war is over until people have some other industry besides manufacturing 1000 guns a day for 70 years.

The math?
1000 guns a day for 70 years - hmmm
1000x365x70=25,550,000

more that 25 and a half million guns!

And check out the drive by image - the Heroin Kingpin’s house probably two blocks long - as one commenter said "Scarface Afghan style".

Also notice how few woman you will see in this video, quite a cultural difference from the West.

3 comments:

Eyeshare said...

Its very strange even for me to know as I belong from same country.

Wonderlane said...

Eyeshare, I know what you mean. So much has been happening as a result of America's terror policies that it seemed the nation forgot who and what we really were. Placing our safety above the real concerns we have for the benefit of others. While I posted this video which is a few years old - I thought about survival of humans - for example the Chinese people know how to smelt metal still - individuals know in a way that US citizens couldn't do if they wanted - if everything collapsed. I also thought about the LEGAL arms - the entire output of a year of your country's arms does not compare to the single days output of American arms.

The whole thing is wrong. We need to work to get to the point that no body needs or even wants arms.

It can be done. Just like having a black president - anything can be accomplished.

Elentaria said...

Hi, nice blog!

I am just dropping by to tell you that I am using one of your photos that you have hosted in flickr, under creative commons license.

I am using it @ http://tibetanbowl.blogspot.com/

let me know if I have given proper credit for your photo or if u would like me to change any copyright info regarded to your message.

I have, of course, linked the image to your blog.

Thanks!
Vera