Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Christmas gift - Woolly Mammoth Sign, The U District, Seattle

Woolly Mammoth Sign, The U District, Seattle, Washington USA I painted this woolly mammoth sign for Andre the owner in 1979, at Christmas time for $50 - he tipped me a pair of new shoes. It was my first job after I arrived "Outside" in Seattle from Alaska.

After someone carved their initials in it he put a piece of plastic over it to protect it. Andre had it mounted outside already for 3 years when I arrived. An artisan Andre knew made it for him by drilling into wood. He got a good deal both times.

Andre was generous because of being poor himself. He confessed to me that sometimes he slept in the store. Andre married for love, and died later of cancer at an early age. I have fond memories of him.

During the Christmas break the residence halls were closed at the University of Washington, and as a result there was nothing to eat. I had not planned on this in my budget. With the dorm kitchens closed and very little money, well, it was bare cupboard time. So I went looking for work and offered to paint it for him.

With that $50 Andre provided me with enough money to live for two weeks. As I painted standing in the rain in my sneakers it was obvious that I was unprepared for the drizzle and mild weather.

He gave me the shoes as a tip - but I think it was also because I was not used to rain - it felt perenially warm to me in Seattle as compared to Alaska. I was actually sick at the time because Seattle was warm all the time I stopped wearing my coat and caught a cold.

Andre really helped me survive and feel like I could survive on my own.

No comments: